Monday, July 5, 2010

Better late than never!

So I may be halfway through with my internship, but I'm still going to go ahead and blog my excursions. So far, I have made my way throughout Ireland, hitting places such as Killarney, Galway, Blarney, Dingle, and Belfast so far. I've even gone outside of the country to Scotland, and I'll be going to Liverpool and Paris soon enough! (Pictures to come as soon as I figure out this website!)

I've been working a month with Golf Digest, which provides entertainment enough. When the internship asked me to specify what field I wanted to get into with journalism and public relations, I chose sports immediately, thinking hmm...maybe I'll end up with soccer, basketball, rugby or even hurling, all sports I knew enough about to get me by. Needless to say I was a little bit disappointed when I ended up with the number one golfing magazine in Ireland, a monthly paper devoted to a sport in which I know absolutely NOTHING about. HA! I pretty much received the same reaction from my closest friends and family (Thanks for the support!) Just kidding :). However, I knew that it was going to be a tremendous opportunity, so I flew off to Dublin with high hopes, reading up on the Golf for Dummies book I thankfully accepted from my mom.

I got into Ireland early Thursday morning, and I had the weekend off from work until Monday. I was shown a bit of Irish hospitality for my birthday from my two roommates Jill and Sara, both I came in knowing from A&M. Lucky me haha. We went out to the pubs the first night so I could get a glimpse of the nightlife in Dublin and meet some of the interns from other schools. I didn't have much time to settle in before I volunteered to disappear for the weekend, taking a 3-day tour of eastern and northern Ireland in Killarney, Blarney (Of course I kissed the Blarney Stone!), Dingle and Galway.

It was an interesting, and VERY exciting tour. There were several different countries on the bus, including Australia, Taiwan and Canada. Every one was extremely friendly though, and the Aussies were by far my favorite. Hilarious. So many beautiful sights and gothic architecture, it definitely proved to be amazing.

After a fun weekend with my new group of friends, we came back for work. I was supposed to have an interview on Monday morning with my boss, Colin, but unfortunately I had left my phone at a pub in Killarney and it was being sent back to me so they could not call. I received an email to come in at 1:00 to meet with Colin, but he was not there when I finally got there after the hour and a half commute. He had tried to call, but of course I couldn't answer. So after all of the trouble, I left about 30 minutes later and was home for the rest of the day. Colin finally got a hold of me, so we just agreed to meet the next day, although the job was already given to me so it wasn't necessary to interview. So far, during the internship, I've been given player profiles, golf tournament pieces and several transcribing tasks. Also, I keep getting the scut work, like washing dishes, typing names and emails up, and binding notebooks together (but that makes sense for an intern). Though what I'm really excited about is what's to come: a fashion piece (yes, I get to write about golf fashion, jealous yet?), some hotel/spa reviews where I get pampered for free, and I get to be involved in a huge tournament coming up later this month where not only the best golfers come to play, but several celebrities like Samuel L. Jackson and Michael Douglass come too. Now THAT will be fun! The writing style is definitely not what I'm used to, here, but I can't wait to learn more as I go. I'm used to the fast-paced rush of the daily newspaper industry; the magazine realm is a lot more leisurely, but also extremely tedious in comparison.

I know that was a lengthy post, but I figured I'd get everybody caught up :)

More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment